I’ve always loved Funfetti cupcakes, although I’m skeptical of all the added ingredients in most box mixes. So when I came across this super simple recipe on one of my all-time FAVORITE food blogs, Lovin’ from the Oven (seriously, check it out), I knew I had to give it a try.
The cupcakes are really easy to put together, and plain yogurt is substituted for part of the butter, so the final result is a cupcake that tastes amazing, is super moist, and is better for you. I swear, most baked goods taste better with yogurt instead of butter (case in point: Ina Garten’s lemon yogurt cake). They don’t rise very much in the oven though, so if you fill the pan liners enough you should probably yield about 12. You’ll also get a ton of frosting from this recipe, so I would recommend cutting it in half or doubling the cupcake recipe.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 XL egg whites
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/8 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- a handful of rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Mix together in a bowl: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together melted butter and sugar until combined. Add egg whites and beat until mixture is smooth and light. Stir in vanilla extract. Add flour mixture in two additions, alternating with the yogurt. Gently fold in sprinkles, if using. Scoop batter into prepared tins.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until cupcakes are barely golden on top and a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out with a couple of loose crumbs. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes in tins. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
I’ll admit that the frosting wasn’t my favorite for these particular cupcakes, so if you want to substitute a buttercream recipe, I’m sure they would also be totally delicious! The cream cheese frosting is really rich and a bit heavy, so it overwhelms the cupcake a bit.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- About 1/3 cup and 3 T of softened butter
- 10 oz cream cheese
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Beat butter and cream cheese together until well blended. Mix in the vanilla. Gradually incorporate the powdered sugar into the batter. Beat until smooth. Add more powdered sugar if necessary to get the desired consistency.